We Have Achieved So Much Because Of You
Ten years ago, no one talked about bereavement‘s impact on us or the trajectory of our lives.
Today, bereavement is highlighted in major media outlets, in the halls of Congress, and in our communities. Thousands of people believe in our vision, which has been humbling and inspiring.
It is all possible because of you.
In January 2020, before COVID-19 came to the United States, we took your stories and quality data to Congress with a message that bereavement was an urgent concern for millions in America. Congress needed to act now.
Together, we made calls, talked to legislators, and secured the nation’s first bereavement provision in the U.S. budget process — and our work had only just begun.
Over the last three years, together, we have continued to make tremendous strides in helping all bereaved people achieve a healthy, prosperous, and equitable future.
Here are just a few highlights:
- With Evermore’s support, the federal government’s first report on grief and bereavement was prepared (it will be released soon; stay tuned!).
- Evermore helped to establish the nation’s first federal commission to understand the feasibility of grief and bereavement practice standards for therapists and social workers. The commission is underway and convening some of the nation’s best and brightest on the topic.
- Evermore led a national coalition to secure PAID bereavement leave in the national policy debate. While that legislation ultimately failed, paid bereavement leave has been secured for the brave men and women of our Armed Forces (and please call Congress now so Armed Forces servicemembers can return home after the deaths of their parents).
- Evermore created the nation’s first Bereavement Facts & Figures, synthesizing the scientific literature on bereavement. Our Facts & Figures has been downloaded many (MANY) times and used throughout the country.
- Evermore worked with Penn State and the University of Southern California, identifying bereaved children (those who experienced the deaths of parents or guardians) which has reached a 20-year high across every state and every racial and ethnic group in America.
- Evermore’s work has appeared in textbooks, in peer-reviewed journals, and in dozens of national media outlets.
- Evermore has worked with celebrities, leading political thinkers, and everyday Americans to bring the change that our nation needs.
And, we have so much up our sleeves for 2024!
Now is the time to accelerate our progress as millions of people in America experience the death of someone important in their lives each year.